The Brighouse & Rastrick Band were in winning form last weekend, becoming champions once again at the Yorkshire Regional Championships.
Held in Briggus’ “home venue”, Huddersfield Town Hall, the Band gave a spectacular performance on Ray Steadman-Allen’s “Seascapes”.
The band were given a favourable #7 draw, playing shortly after rivals and previous champions, The Black Dyke Band. Dr. David Thornton’s rendition was described as “musical poetry” and was received with a rapturous applause from the capacity hall. Soloists Kyle Lawson, Connor Lennon and Chris Robertson were in exceptional form, with the latter being awarded the “Best Soloist” award.
The first win at the first contest of the year has boosted the players forwards, and they now have their eyes set on preparing to represent England at the European Championships this April!
Adjudicators: Stephen Roberts and Steve Sykes
1. Brighouse & Rastrick (Dr David Thornton)**
2. Grimethorpe Colliery (Allan Withington)*
3. Carlton Main Frickley Colliery (Ian Porthouse)*
4. Rothwell Temperance (David Roberts)
5. City of Bradford (Lee Skipsey)
6. Black Dyke (Prof. Nicholas J Childs)**
7. Hepworth (Mark Bentham)
8. Elland Silver (Daniel Brooks)
9. Skelmanthorpe (Martin Heartfield)
10. Hammonds Saltaire (Morgan Griffiths)
11. Unite the Union (John Roberts)
12. Marsden Silver (Andrew Lofthouse)
13. Strata (Jonathan Bates)
**Black Dyke and Brighouse & Rastrick pre-qualify for National Final
*Qualify for the National Final
Best Principal Cornet: Iain Culross (Grimethorpe Colliery)
Best Soloist: Chris Robertson (euphonium) — Brighouse & Rastrick
Best Instrumentalist: Zoe Lovatt-Cooper (flugel) — Black Dyke
Youngest Player: Lewis Barton (Elland Silver) — aged 13